RAPINJUSTICE

stop bitin' while i'm rhyme writin'/ or we'll be like fighting ... mike tyson.
RAPINJUSTICE IS NOW A PUBLIC SERVICE: STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES
It might not even be good, but it's still RAP
Something for everyone, but not everything for someone
A HIP HOP TRAINWRECK: THE BEST OF THE WORST
Filling the cracks in the sidewalk of online rap

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Kurt Cobain is smiling/rolling in his grave...


Or at least yawning...

3 Melancholy Gypsies - 2010
3 Melancholy Gypsies - Sunsprayed (Live)

Back when I was really into going to shows, I saw my share of Living Legends' concerts. And every time, some backpacked douchebag would yell out "Sunsprayed!" when MURS or Eligh or Scarub took the stage. I think one time they performed it. "Sunsprayed," for the uninitiated, samples Nirvana's "Heart Shaped Box" bassline. It's just a beat and a bassline. I didn't think it was too creative or breathtaking back then, and I still don't now.

Fast forward to 2006, and the Legends' members (who have disparate levels of success like a rap Brat Pack) release a sampler "Legendary Music Vol. 1" to promote their solo releases for the second half of the year. They also throw on some unreleased and rare stuff to make the package complete. On here is a song by the 3MGs called "2010" and ... I think you know where I'm going with this... it samples Nirvana again. This time it's Cobain and Co.'s cover of David Bowie's "Man Who Sold the World" from the MTV Unplugged album (word to Jay-Z). Again, it's not super great, but I figured it was noteworthy. What can we expect next from this group? A loop of "I'm so horny" from "Lithium" a la E-40's "Yay Area"? Dare I say, mash-up fodder "Smells Like Teen Spirit"? I hope not.

Perhaps their affiliates could sample Nirvana's affiliates. Let's hear Lucky.I.Am (by the way is he related to Will.I.Am?) over a looped Hole song, or the Grouch chopping up the Foo Fighters. Hurry up, guys.

Edit: I just have to point out, I really like how the producer (Eligh?) added the synth at about 1:24 to "2010" that emulates the cello on the original song.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:11 PM, Anonymous ChimpKid1 said…

    You sir are what i like to call a "fucking idiot" and you obviously don't know what real talent is. These guys make top quality music that is mind numbing with it's lyricism alone but the beat production was/is carving the way for originality and innovation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home